“Data science” introduces modern computational tools to manage, process, and visualize data and to communicate their results. This comprehensive program combines the latest research results with findings and challenges from practice. Participants will learn about fundamental statistical principles, broadly useful statistical methods, state-of-the-art prediction methods from machine learning, and optimization and randomization tools that help them to tackle large-scale data-analytic problems.
Our experienced lecturers demonstrate the relevance of the developed skills in selected application examples. The hybrid format combines networking opportunities on-campus with digital elements
Why this program?
In 2018, the volume of digital data generated worldwide was 33 zettabyte. In 2025, the number will increase to 175*. The essential challenge for companies and organizations is more than ever to gain knowledge out of this huge amount of data and to being able to make strategic decisions on this basis. Well-trained data scientists play a central role in this constellation.
This unique certificate program was developed in close cooperation with professors from TUM’s Department of Mathematics – one of Europe’s leading institutes at the interface of mathematics and its applications. Our experts support participants in building core competencies in Data Science relevant to competition – from developing profound methodological competencies to providing a deep understanding of statistical principles.
*Source: Statista 2021/IDC: https://t1p.de/cun7
- Provider: TUM Institute for LifeLong Learning
- Certificate: After successful completion of the final exam, participants will receive a certificate from the Technical University of Munich.
- Duration (in weeks): 7
- Language: English
Prof. Dr. Matthias Scherer, Professor of Risk and Insurance, TUM
Prof. Dr. Mathias Drton, Chair of Mathematical Statistics, TUM
Module 1 and 2: 24th & 25th February 2022
Module 3/part I: 4th March 2022
Module 3 / part II: 11th March 2022
Module 4 / part I: 18th March 2022
Module 4 / part II: 25th March 2022
Module 5 and 6: 7th & 8th April 2022
- Target group: Professionals that wish to develop or deepen existing expertise in Data Science, as they e.g. currently hold or wish to gain a position as Data Scientist/Analyst in Consulting, Finance, Insurance or Tech Sectors, among others.
- Format: blended-learning
- Location: Munich/Garching
- Program fee and discounts: 3,500 €, 10% discount for TUM alumni and employees of BMW Group in Germany
- Access requirements: Participants should hold a profound education in mathematics, computer science or a closely related field. All levels of professional experience are welcome.
*Based on our experience, the German tax benefits help many of our participants to self-finance their education as these can be worth of up to 50% of tuition fees and program related travel costs. Please, consult your personal tax advisor for more details. For participants of our programs residing outside Germany this might be applicable, please check the situation with the local tax authorities in your country of residence.
- Prof. Ph.D. Claudia Czado, Professor of Applied Mathematical Statistics, TUM
- Assistant Prof. Dr. Mathias Drton (APD), Chair of Mathematical Statistics (APD), TUM
- Stephan Haug, Chair of Mathematical Statistics, TUM
- Prof. Dr. Blanka Horvath, Chair of Mathematical Finance, TUM
- Prof. Dr. Oliver Junge, TUM, Professor for Numerics of Complex Systems, TUM
- Prof. Dr. Christian Karpfinger, Research Group Algebra, TUM
- Prof. Dr. Felix Krahmer, Professor at Applied Numerical Analysis, TUM
- Dr. Florian Lindemann, Research fellow at the Chair of Mathematical Optimization, TUM
- Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Matthias Scherer (APD), Assistant Professorship of Risk and Insurance, TUM
- Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Ullmann, Associate Professorship of Scientific Computing and Uncertainty Quantification, TUM
- Prof. Dr. M. Michael Wolf, Head of the Chair of Mathematical Physics, TUM
Are you interested in this certificate or similar programs? Stay up to date!
Please note: The current Corona regulations apply to all programs. We will continuously inform registered participants about any changes, e.g. regarding the implementation of on-campus events. If you have any questions, please contact our program managers at any time.